Aromatherapy Crafts for Kids: DIY Playdough and Bath Bombs
by Janice FERGUSON on Aug 04, 2020
Looking for some fun activities to entertain your kids at home? Crafts are a great way to engage and stimulate your kids through the power of play.
To inspire you with some ideas, keep reading as we show you how to create aromatherapy play dough and bath bombs using essential oils and natural ingredients.
Aromatherapy Playdough Recipe
Playing with playdough helps your little one develop their fine motor skills, increase curiosity, stimulate creativity and even have a calming effect. We love using essential oils in playdough to help kids learn and explore new scents!
To create this easy aromatherapy playdough, you’ll need:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coloured water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 drops essential oils (try fun, fragrant scents like Lavender, Wild Orange, Lemon or Peppermint!)
- Mix all ingredients (except for essential oils) in a large saucepan. Stir until combined.
- Slowly heat saucepan over medium heat. Use a spatula to gradually stir the mixture together until it forms a ball. Be careful not to overcook, as this will create dry playdough.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool on baking paper.
- Once cool, add essential oils and knead until combined. Store your playdough in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Aromatherapy Bath Bombs
We love these fragrant bath bombs to create a sensory experience for your little ones! Essential oils like lavender will also have a calming, soothing effect - perfect to prepare your kids for bed at the end of the night.
To create these aromatherapy bath bombs, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- ¾ cup of citric acid
- ¾ cup of Epsom salts
- 4 tablespoons of fractionated coconut oil
- 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 x bath bomb moulds
- Combine baking soda, Epsom salts and citric acid in a mixing bowl. Make sure you break up any clumps with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
- In a seperate bowl, combine coconut oil and essential oil drops. Lavender is perfect for kids! Note: you can also add food colouring to create your desired colour.
- Slowly and gradually add wet ingredients to the baking soda mixture. Note: adding wet ingredients too fast will cause the mixture to active prematurely.
- Use a spoon to gently combine the ingredients until the mixture resembles wet sand. If the mixture seems too dry, add a drop of water.
- Add mixture to the bath bomb moulds and press together firmly. This mixture should make 3-4 bath bombs.
- Remove the bath bombs from the mould, and leave them to dry overnight.
- Your bath bombs are ready to be used!
Looking for more health and wellness tips, special offers and exclusive discounts? Sign up for our Inspire Me Naturally newsletter here!