How to Use Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are a completely natural occurrence, but they can also be a common complaint amongst women and young adults. Essential oils are one natural remedy to fade stretch marks, improve skin elasticity and keep our skin soft and healthy.
Stretch marks are caused by skin being stretched rapidly, and usually appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks or breasts. They are especially common during pregnancy, growth spurts, and during weight gain or weight loss. While stretch marks are a totally normal part of the human body (and not a flaw or anything to feel conscious about!), there are some natural remedies that can assist with reducing their appearance if desired.
If you’re wondering which essential oils are best for preventing and reducing stretch marks, keep reading for our top picks!
Which essential oils are best for stretch marks?
Certain essential oils contain powerful nutrients that help with skin repair. These oils moisturise the skin, encourage skin regeneration, and provide necessary antioxidants. The best essential oils for stretch marks include:
- Lavender oil. Lavender oil is extremely versatile and used for many different skin conditions. This floral-smelling oil is naturally anti-inflammatory, and packed with antioxidants
- Frankincense oil. Frankincense includes ferulic acids and antioxidants that keep our skin soft and healthy. This oil also penetrates through the skin easily.
- Patchouli oil. Patchouli oil has powerful regenerative properties, and is known for healing wounds and scars
- Lemon oil. This tangy citrus oil replenishes natural oils in the body that help to repair skin
- Jasmine oil. Jasmine oil is known for reducing dry skin and improving skin elasticity
How to use essential oils for stretch marks
Using essential oils for stretch marks is simple! You can create your own natural massage oil or stretch mark cream, and apply topically each day in affected areas. These essential oil remedies can both prevent and reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Remember, it’s important to dilute essential oils correctly when applying topically to the skin.
To create your own DIY stretch mark cream: Simply add a few drops of your chosen essential oils to shea butter (another natural ingredient known for assisting with stretch marks). Massage gently into skin daily.
To create your own DIY stretch mark massage oil: Add a few drops of your chosen essential oils to a carrier oil like jojoba oil, rosehip oil or coconut oil. Massage gently into skin daily.
Want more health and wellness tips, product news and special offers? Don’t forget to sign up for our Inspire Me Naturally newsletter!