How to Use Essential Oils for Kids!
by Janice Ferguson on Oct 25, 2021
Essential oils can be a fantastic tool for kids! From creating a calm environment to improving sleep and even assisting in sensory play, there are some wonderful benefits to be found through aromatherapy.
However, if you’re looking to introduce essential oils to your little ones, it’s important to do so safely. This means choosing high-quality oils, diluting them correctly, and choosing gentle oils that are safe for kids.
Not sure where to begin? Keep reading for 4 of our favourite ways to use essential oils for kids below!
What are the best essential oils for kids?
There are many essential oils that are safe to apply topically and diffuse around children (when diluted correctly). Some of the best kid-friendly essential oils include:
- Clary Sage
- Tea Tree
Essential oil safety for kids
Essential oils are highly concentrated, and kids are much more sensitive to them than adults. You should always dilute essential oils correctly for kids using the following guidelines:
- Only use high-quality essential oils from reputable sources that have been tested and cleared for safe use
- Only use gently essential oils that are known to be safe for use around kids
- Always use smaller amounts of essential oils when diffusing around kids and only diffuse oils in large, open rooms. Avoid small, compact spaces, as the essential oils can become overpowering
- Always dilute essential oils before applying topically to children (you’ll need 5 drops of carrier oil for every 1 drop of essential oil)
- Do a patch test before using any new oil, and avoid sensitive areas (such as around the eyes) or broken skin
- Be mindful of sunlight exposure after applying essential oils - always check your oils for a sunlight sensitivity warning before application
- Always supervise your children when using essential oils, and store them safely out of reach from your little ones
4 ways to use essential oils for kids
Now that you know how to use essential oils safely for kids, where should you get started?
From bedtime routines to sensory play, check out these 4 great ways to use essential oils for children below:
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine with lavender oil
Lavender oil is incredibly calming, making it ideal for your little one’s bedtime routine. To help your kids wind down and relax, simply place a couple of drops of lavender oil on their pillow or in their bath before bed. You can also create a bedtime room spray by filling a clean spray bottle with distilled water and adding 10 drops of lavender oil.
- Use citrus oils for focus and motivation
Citrus oils are perfect for promoting focus and motivation, especially for school-aged kids. Try diffusing some wild orange or grapefruit oil during study or homework time!
- Create aromatherapy playdough
Sensory play encourages learning through exploration and creativity. Why not incorporate essential oils into your children’s playtime activities with aromatherapy playdough or slime?
To create aromatherapy playdough, you’ll need:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coloured water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 drops of your chosen essential oils
Combine all ingredients (except the essential oils) in a saucepan and stir well. Once combined, place on a medium heat and use a spatula to gently stir until a ball is formed. Don’t overcook, as your mixture may become too dry.
Remove from the heat, let cool on parchment paper, then knead essential oils into the mixture until thoroughly combined. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge in between uses.
- Clear stuffy noses with an essential oil diffuser
Diffusing essential oils may also help to clear stuffy noses and relieve congestion. Try blending 1-2 drops of frankincense, 1-2 drops of lavender oil and 1-2 drops of lemon oil in your diffuser, or add to a bowl of boiling water so your little one can breathe in the steam.
Looking for more health and wellness tips, special offers and exclusive discounts? Sign up for our Inspire Me Naturally newsletter.