News

Himalayan Salt or Table Salt: Why You Should Make the Switch!

by Janice FERGUSON on Mar 22, 2020

Himalayan Salt or Table Salt: Why You Should Make the Switch! Inspire Me Naturally

Himalayan salt or table salt? When it comes to our health, salt can get a bad rap - but, as humans, we need salt in our bodies to survive!

Salt is an important nutrient for our bodies. It helps us maintain the right fluid balance, transmit nerve impulses, and contract and relax our muscles. Because we don’t produce salt naturally, we need to ingest it to help our bodies function.

With this in mind, not all salt is created equally. So what exactly are the differences between table salt and Himalayan salt, and why should you consider making the switch?

Table salt or Himalayan salt?

First, let’s talk about table salt. This is the salt most commonly found in household cupboards and supermarket shelves - but, it’s also the most heavily processed, and the least healthy option for our bodies. 

Because of the way table salt is processed, all of the essential minerals are stripped away. This leaves us with sodium chloride, but none of the nutrients to balance it out!

The higher proportion of sodium in table salt makes it easy for us to consume an unhealthy amount. Too much sodium in our diet can lead to health issues such as high blood pressure, which in turn increases the risk of heart disease and strokes.

The benefits of Himalayan salt

So, how can we incorporate salt into our diet in a healthier way? We highly recommend making the switch to Himalayan pink salt instead. Himalayan salt is the purest salt on earth. Sourced directly from the Himalayan mountains, this all-natural salt is unprocessed and retains all of it’s essential minerals – 84 of them to be exact! 

Himalayan salt consists of approximately 85% sodium, with the remaining 15% jam-packed with vital minerals such as Iodine, potassium, magnesium and calcium. These important minerals help our bodies thrive and balance out the sodium levels, meaning there is a lower risk of consuming an unhealthy amount of salt.

The benefits of Himalayan salt include:

*Balancing PH levels in the body

*Preventing muscle cramping

*Lowering blood pressure

*Improving circulation

*Helping the intestines absorb nutrients

*And even supporting your libido!

How to make the switch to Himalayan salt

Just because Himalayan salt is sourced from the Himalayan mountains, it doesn’t mean you need to trek to Nepal to access it! Himalayan salt is readily available right here in Australia, making it super easy to make the switch. Once you’ve introduced Himalayan salt into your household, you can use it in exactly the same way as you would use table salt - it’s a direct substitution. 

Where to buy Himalayan salt online

We have a wide range of Himalayan salt products including cooking salt, bath salts and salt lamps available online. Don’t forget we offer AfterPay, ZipPay, LayBuy and LatitudePay on all purchases. 

Looking for more health and wellness tips, special offers and exclusive discounts? Sign up for our Inspire Me Naturally newsletter here!